Signage

Signage
Sign in front of the school

Monday, July 28, 2008

Update #11

Update # 11

In this issue:

  1. Director's update

  2. School update

  3. School needs

Directors update:

Hello friends and family of Adelante! I'll start off by saying WHOA, it's been hot here. I actually burned the other day… yeah...I know! Ha ha. Last week I took a trip to Granada where I spoke to students from a University of Washington exploration seminar. Later that week 5 of the students who were in the class took a trip down to Leon, and visited with me for a few days which was really fun. More and more I'm making both personal and professional contacts which has been very nice and refreshing. Bit by bit random people are wanting to help out with my organization. On a consistent basis I am reminded of how hospitable and warm Nicaraguans are.

School update:

Adelante is marching right along. This week classes ended, and I am now gearing up for the next course which will start after a week break. As of today I have 13 students enrolled in the evening class, and 3 enrolled in the morning class. I'm optimistic that my evening class will reach capacity at 16, and my morning class will reach 10 students. I'm anxious to see how teaching two different classes each day works out for me as far as scheduling and energy. I have made a conscious effort to always include fun and dynamic activities in my classes so getting bored is really not an issue. It is not abnormal to hear jokes and laughter coming from the class, which I think is one of the things that attract students to the classes and keeps them coming back.

As soon as we get the two classrooms up and running I have no doubt that we will be inundated with requests fpr more classes. I have people asking me almost daily if I offer classes for younger kids, as well as Saturday or Sunday courses. At present, I am not offering either of those things, but hopefully when we acquire the larger space and more teachers we will be able to offer those classes to the community.

I have been talking with students about volunteers coming and wanting to stay with Nicaraguan families and many have offered their homes and hospitality. Hint hint. If you would like to come teach let me know and we can work out a host family situation. It is a great cultural exchange opportunity.

School needs:

Adelante still needs dictionaries, and now more than ever we will be soliciting financial donations. We are planning for our second fiscal year and as such are looking to cover the years costs as well as plan on some expansion of programs and staff. Please contact me directly for more information.

Mateo.g@adelantenow.org

Next update: August 7th, 2008

No comments: